SureSmile® Orthodontic Technology
You’re getting braces. And while you’re excited about having that great smile, you may be nervous about wearing the wires and brackets. Well, there is a new, technologically advanced orthodontic system that makes straightening your teeth a lot more precise and more accurate compared to conventional orthodontic treatment. It’s called SureSmile and it’s changing the way people feel about braces.
SureSmile® reinventing orthodontic treatment
Unlike conventional treatment, which relies on plaster models and X-rays, the SureSmile treatment starts by providing us with a detailed 3-D computer model of your teeth, allowing Dr. Weathersby to plan individual tooth movements throughout your entire “braces experience.” SureSmile robots then customize individual braces archwires to match your treatment plan. SureSmile orthodontic technology enables us to create more accurate treatment plans designed to move your teeth to their correct position more efficiently than ever before, thus improving the quality of your treatment results and cutting your total time in braces by up to 29%.*
*SureSmile has been shown to reduce treatment time by an average of 29%, based on a March 2012 comparison of 7,042 patients treated with SureSmile to 200 conventionally treated patients.
With cutting edge orthodontic technology from SureSmile, your orthodontist can offer you a treatment with:
- High quality results – With SureSmile precision, teeth move directly to their prescribed positions
- Less overall discomfort – SureSmile treatment plans reduces pain from braces by decreasing the number of wire adjustments needed during treatment
- Fewer office visits – The SureSmile technology improves orthodontic efficiency and accuracy, for fewer office visits and less time in braces!
How SureSmile® Works
- With SureSmile orthodontic technology, we can design your braces treatment in a way that moves your teeth to their desired position more precisely than ever before. With the accuracy of a SureSmile treatment plan, you’ll be on your way to a beautiful, healthy smile while spending less time in braces compared to conventional orthodontic treatment.
Step one: Advanced Orthodontic Imaging
SureSmile creates a 3-D computer model of your bite by using advanced imaging technology to scan your teeth. The 3-D image is captured with the OraScanner® or Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT). This scan procedure is the beginning of your SureSmile treatment.
- When used, Conebeam Computed Tomography (CBCT) scans allows us to better analyze the orientation and position of your teeth and roots by showing additional tissue types such as bone, teeth, nerves and soft tissue.
Step Two: Prescriptive Treatment Planning
With the 3-D model, the doctor can now see how your teeth fit together from any angle. SureSmile treatment planning software provides virtual simulation tools that allow your doctor to determine the final position of your teeth and define the most effective plan for your unique treatment needs.
- SureSmile software provides virtual simulations for us to review planning options and determine your optimum treatment. The target position of each tooth is planned in advance so you’ll know what outcome to expect.
Step Three: Robotic Accuracy
Once we define your treatment plan, the SureSmile technology directs a robot to bend a shape memory alloy archwire according to your customized prescription. This wire is designed to deliver the gentle forces needed to move your teeth consistently and more directly to their desired finishing position.
- Shape Memory Alloy archwires are made by heating Copper Ni-Ti® metal to more than 1000°F during the robotic customization process. These “smart” wires permanently retain your individual prescription and are activated by your own body heat.
How does robotic wire bending make my treatment more precise?
Instead of your orthodontist bending an archwire by hand, as in conventional treatment, SureSmile technology uses robotic hands to precisely bend archwires to your unique prescription. SureSmile provides maximum control of tooth movement, and this efficiency saves you time in treatment.
How does SureSmile treatment planning software work?
Using SureSmile Treatment Planning Software, your orthodontist can evaluate treatment options, visualize the desired end result and desired position for each tooth. The plan allows your orthodontist to design archwires that move teeth in the most direct path to the target without the need for multiple adjustments. The software also allows your orthodontist to digitally evaluate progress during treatment.
How much does SureSmile cost?
The cost of orthodontic treatment is determined by your individual orthodontist and depends on many factors, including the complexity of your case.
Is my orthodontist still in control of my treatment?
Absolutely. In fact, with SureSmile your orthodontist has even greater control of treatment, thanks to 3-D tools and the accuracy they bring to treatment planning.
Is SureSmile treatment really less painful than traditional orthodontic treatment?
The pain patients experience during orthodontic treatment is a result of changes in pressure caused by adjusting wires. Patients who use SureSmile treatment experience less pain, because fewer wire adjustments and changes are required.
Is there a risk of damaging my teeth because they’re moving faster?
SureSmile archwires don’t move teeth any faster than conventional archwires. The time difference is due to the computerized treatment plan, made possible through 3-D imaging. Instead of a continually evolving plan with frequent adjustments, your teeth move along a more direct path to their target positions. Your overall treatment is shorter due to the shorter distance the teeth have to travel.
What are SureSmile Shape Memory Alloy archwires?
Orthodontists have used Shape Memory Alloy in straight archwires for the last decade. But until the introduction of our robotic process, they haven’t been able to shape archwires into customized prescriptions because of the high temperature required for bending the alloy. When robotic hands bend the heated alloy material into customized prescriptions, the archwires deliver precise, constant force to move teeth more directly into target positions.